Wednesday 6 November 2013

Don Jazzy and Wande Coal wash their dirty linen in public over controversial song theft


Michael Collins aka Don Jazzy (Mavin Record Boss) and singer Wande Coal had a disagreement yesterday, with the music producer accusing the Afro Pop star of stealing his song Baby Face, released in the early hours of Tuesday.


Wande Coal, who released the single under his personal label; Black Diamond Entertainment, had joined MAVIN Records last year, following the split between Don Jazzy and former label mate, D’banj, which signaled the end of their company; Mo’hits.

Fans began to suspect strongly that all was not well between Coal and Mavin when few months ago, he released a new single, Kilaju which was produced by Maleek Berry and released under his Black Diamond imprint.
An earlier indication of gradual separation between the two was also noticed after the release of Coal’s video “The Kick” on May 10, 2013 which had no indication of Mavin Records, but Coal’s record label Black Diamond Entertainment.

Things got awry after the release of the fun upbeat track titled – Baby Face, which got Jazzy taking to his twitter page to blow his boy’s cover. Claiming the ownership of the song which he said he produced a year ago, the label boss said; “How long will I continue to sweat and some people will choose to steal from me. I am nice and easy going doesn’t mean you should disrespect me.”
Perhaps his words could have kept people wondering who the music producer was referring to, but for the response of Coal, which did not appear to be denying the allegation.

“It is with sad heart that I make this response. Steal from you? I served your for 10 years, why are you not happy with my progress. Is it bad that I kept quiet and moved on with my life? You have my phone number, email address and my DM to communicate with me, but you choose twitter attention syndrome. After all these years of being loyal to you, I can never believe you will ever say this to me, trying to bring me down on twitter.”

Wande Coal was one of the reasons D’banj and Jazzy parted ways in 2012, thus the new tussle is a further break of the group, Mavin, which had Don Jazzy, Wande Coal, Tiwa Savage, D’Prince and Dr SID. Jazzy, cannot be said to have full autonomy over savage, as her label 323 Entertainment is merely in partnership with Mavin Records. With the clear exit of Coal, industry watchers are of the opinion that this may just be the end of the one-year-old Mavin Records.

The war of words between the two continued with Jazzy debunking insinuation by Coal that he may not be happy with his progress. “Without collecting a dime from you; if I wanted to stop you, why would I allow you release Rotate without my company credit. Why would I allow you perform around the world?”

But it appears some fans are taking sides with Coal. Responding to Jazzy’s tweets, they had wondered why he chose to go public without first talking the issue out with his boy. To them, Jazzy replied: “I can decide to shut him down with one call. But didn’t. All I ask for is “give me my credit” and nothing else. I honestly expected you all to come at me with me being childish, but enough is enough. Even if I send my legal team on him una go complain too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment